Monday, June 30, 2008

New Friends

Last night Mike and I started to prepare Brody for his first day at St. Luke's. From Sarah's advice after telling her how he screech last week when the word "school" was mentioned, she suggested I say he was going to meet some new friends. So that we did! Throughout the day yesterday Mike and I mentioned to Brody that he was going to meet lots of new friends, color, paint, ride bikes, play outside, sing songs and have tons of fun. Sounds nothing like school right? This was a great technique, thanks Sarah. It worked like a charm!

This morning I woke Brody up at 7:50 and immediately got him dressed. He even sat down on the potty chair. Following we brushed his hair and teeth. He sat next to me at the table eating his oatmeal while I filled out the last of the school papers. Afterwards we cleaned up the table and got his backpack and lunch together. Since, the school is only 0.4 of a mile from the house we opted for some exercise.

It started off that Brody was holding his lunch and I held his backpack. Not even a block later he said it was too heavy so I carried it the rest of the way. Brody enjoyed the walk and all there was to see in the neighborhood. He pointed out and barked back at the dogs. He saw a big trailer that he was over estatic about. He also commented on the beautiful garden which was way too much for my taste.

We arrived at the school just about 8 minutes later. Not bad for a three year old. I think it got just enough energy out. He saw the preschool as we were turning the corner, but I had my thinking cap on this morning and made sure to bring him on the side that faces the playground. He was so excited. I told him that this is where his new friends were. He jumped and smiled and asked if he could go inside. We found our way through the maze of the school and crept through the hallways. He stood back a bit while I spoke with some of the teachers. Before I knew it, he was driving one of the cars and helping a kid who had falled off of their bike.

I had to make the decision on whether to say goodbye or not. I decided it was the right thing to do. He had already thought that I had left and was adjusting beautifully. I went outside and gave him a kiss and told him I was going to go home and study. I also stated then when he was done eating lunch I would pick him up from school. Basically I need to high tail it back there by 12:15.

The good news is that after speaking to two of his possible teachers. They are both on board to help fully potty train. They asked if we could start bringing him to school in underwear. That they were aware it is a messy process. But undies coupled with elastic waisted pants was going to be our solution. So now I am off in my few hours of free time in which I should be studying to get some new shorts and prizes for his success.

I am so excited!

No comments: